3000 Los Rios Boulevard
Plano, TX 75074
Phone: (469) 752-9000
Fax: (469) 752-9001
The counseling office will be open throughout the summer and counselors will be observing the following hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Friday: Closed The office will be closed the week of July 1 - 5
Please call 469-752-9000 and ask for the counselor on duty for questions or to make an appointment for a new student. New students will need to provide the following information:
If you are planning to visit a college or university and will miss school, be sure to get a College Visitation Form from the counseling office or your sub-school BEFORE your visit. Forms must be signed by your counselor and sub-school principal prior to your visit and then signed and stamped by a college official on the day of your visit. Turn the form into your sub-school within 3 days of your return to school so that your absences are excused.
Click here.pdf) for information on understanding your PSAT results.
Click here for information on getting connected to the college application process.
Click here to download the presentation.
Visit this page to get college and career information.
Where Can I Find Information about Colleges?
• Junior/Senior Handbook: Includes websites, a senior year timeline and more!
• Library: Complete College Catalogs and on-line access
• Internet: Access college virtual tours, admissions and scholarship information and much more!
• College Visits: Tour a campus or visit with Admissions reps in the Fine Arts Building at Plano East.
• Counseling Office: College Brochures, ACT/SAT, application information and more!
• Plano East Counseling Website: Handbooks, Recommendation Packets and much more, plus a listing of all scholarships that have been received. Go to the Plano East site and click on “Counseling”. Save us to your favorites- we receive scholarship information most of the school year! You can also find excellent Career Exploration information here! Look for our I-College page!
What Are Colleges Looking For In A Potential Freshman?
• Rigorous courses, including your senior year!
• Class Rank and GPA average for all high school courses
• SAT and ACT scores – Plano East will be giving the SAT on November 3, December 1 and January 26
• Extracurricular Activities/Employment/Community Service
• Essays (If required)
• Letters of Recommendation- It is important to allow 10 school days for teachers/counselors to complete your recommendation. Check with your college or on their website to find out if they require a letter. If it is optional, send one only if it will give the reps additional information that is not in your application.
How Do I Apply?
• Take Admissions tests if required: SAT Reasoning Test, SAT Subject Test, ACT, THEA (are you exempt? See page 11 in your handbook.) www.collegeboard.org www.actstudent.org www.thea.nesinc.com
• Texas Common Application– Used by all Texas public colleges. www.applytexas.org
• Common Application- Used by over 400 selective, independent colleges. www.commonapp.org
• Early Decision Vs. Early Notification – Make sure you know the difference! Check with colleges to see what happens to your application if you are denied admission. Are you automatically placed in the regular decision category or if the denial is final, can you reapply for regular admission?
• Meet the deadlines for housing, scholarships and admissions. Every school is different!
• Apply for Financial Aid in January through the FAFSA form – www.fafsa.ed.gov
Where do I get a transcript or my GPA?
The registrar’s office is located in Building 1. The first transcript is free and all others are $2 each. Remember that if you are 18 years old, you must make the request yourself.
I need a letter of recommendation from my counselor. What do I do?
Pick up a recommendation packet in the counseling center or you may download one from our Plano East website. Allow 10 school days after returning the packet for your letter to be written. Please provide stamped, addressed envelopes.
What if I want to visit a college during a school day?
Pick up a college visitation request form from your subschool before your visit. You are allowed only two absences for college visits per year.
How do I find scholarship information?
Check the Panther Pause, check websites of colleges that interest you, go to websites listed in your Junior/Senior Handbook on page 24, and go to the Plano East website. Scholarships with paper applications can be found outside of Ms. Ketter’s office next to Beta Subschool.
Where do I find information on NCAA Clearinghouse?
www.ncaaclearinghouse.net – Must be done in the FALL. If I’m accepted, do I need to worry about classes and grades for second semester? YES!! Colleges will request a final transcript and have revoked admissions for students who have had a serious decline in their academic performance during their senior year.
What about using technology to contact colleges?
Remember to use correct spelling, grammar, capitalization and punctuation and to use salutations. Use your full name and keep your communications professional. Monitor what is posted on your social networking websites and use an appropriate e-mail address when communicating with colleges. Remember that your e-mail could be added to your admissions file!
Click here for more information on substance abuse prevention.